Description of our Blood Transfusion Service
- Provides specialist advice to NHS staff regarding transfusion issues and helps enhance care and management of patients receiving blood component therapy.
- Provides technical and clinical advice on many aspects of transfusion to staff involved in the transfusion process.
- Provides guidance and support in service planning and development.
- Analyses transfusion incidents/near misses, where necessary facilitating change process to reduce continued risk to patients.
- Ensures that standards of care for patients are adhered to according to national guidelines, policies and legislation.
- Provides advice for the care of patients who are exposed to blood and components or alternatives to transfusion with regard to risk reduction and avoidance.
- Supports development of patient literature.
Download the Transfusion Consent Leaflet
Special instructions for patients
- The Transfusion Practitioner works on a part-time basis and can be contacted via staff on the wards.
- For further information about our Blood Transfusion Service, please contact: Valerie Wallace, Transfusion Practitioner (Specialist Nurse) - email@example.com or call 0151 600 1616 (switchboard)