Mr Paul Modi
Responsibilities at LHCH
- Clinical Lead for Cardiac Surgery
Area of Practice
Adult Cardiac and Mitral Valve Surgery
Special Clinical Interests
- Minimally invasive mitral valve surgery
- Minimally invasive aortic valve surgery
- Minimally invasive AF surgery (cryomaze)
- Minimally invasive coronary artery bypass surgery (MIDCAB)
- Robotic cardiac surgery
- Minimally Invasive Surgery
- Myocardial Protection
Current Membership of Professional Regional and National Bodies
- Royal College of Surgeons of England
- Society for Cardiothoracic Surgery in Great Britain and Ireland
Professional Profile (including Training and Education)
I trained in the South West of England with Prof Angelini, one of the world’s authorities on off-pump coronary artery bypass surgery.
I then worked as an attending (consultant) surgeon in North Carolina, USA, for one year where I was a Clinical Instructor in Robotic and Minimally Invasive Cardiac Surgery, working with Dr Ranny Chitwood, one of the pioneers of keyhole and robotic heart surgery and ex-President of the Society of Thoracic Surgeons.
I was awarded the prestigious Society Scholarship for Cardiac Surgery to train in minimally invasive valve surgery with two of the European pioneers of these techniques – Prof Fred Mohr in Leipzig, Germany, and Prof Hugo Vanermen in Aalst, Belgium.
Following this, I trained in totally thoracoscopic atrial fibrillation surgery in the Netherlands with Dr Van Boven.
I was awarded my Doctor in Medicine (MD) by the University of Bristol for work into paediatric myocardial protection.
- 33 peer-reviewed manuscripts
- 3 book chapters
- Editor of perspectives in cardiothoracic surgery: the SCTS-Ionescu University Vols I and II