Dr Vishal Luther
Date: 29 December 2020 02:15
Tel: 0151 600 1251
Dr Vishal Luther, MBBS BSc MRCP PhD ECES ECDS
Responsibilities at LHCH
- Consultant Cardiologist & Electrophysiologist
- Associate Chief Clinical Information Officer - driving the trusts digital aspirations to improve cardiology care
- Founder of www.cardiowebinar.com (LHCH sponsored)
Area of Practice
- Heart Rhythm disorders
- Ablation for arrhythmias
- Pacemakers, ICDs and CRT
- General Cardiology
Special Clinical Interests
- Atrial Fibrillation
- 3D mapping & ablation of complex arrhythmias (esp. atypical Atrial Flutter, CARTOSOUND Ventricular Ectopy, & scar related Ventricular Tachycardia.
- Carto Ripple Mapping in Atrial and Ventricular Tachycardia
- Recipient of the prestigious Heart Rhythm Society 2019 “Eric Prystowsky Fellow Clinical Researcher Award” for the highest scoring abstract; the Asia-Pacific Heart Rhythm Society 2018 “Best Late Breaking Research Award; finalist in the British Heart Rhythm Society “young investigator award.”
- Northwest NIHR Research Scholar (2022-2024)
- Chief Investigator: Ripple AT+ (NCT03915691) multicentre UK 3D mapping trial (LHCH sponsored)
- See Pubmed for publication list
Current Membership of Professional Regional and National Bodies
- European Heart Rhythm Association Cardiac Electrophysiology Specialist (ECES)
- European Heart Rhythm Association Cardiac Devices Specialist (ECDS)
- British Heart Rhythm Society (invited speaker 2018 - 2020).
- British Society of Echocardiography: Transthoracic Echo accreditation
Training and Education
- Medical School: University College London – Distinction in Medical Sciences, Clinical Sciences & Clinical Practice. 1st class intercalated BSc.
- Cardiology Specialist Training, London North-West Thames Deanery
- PhD - British Heart Foundation: Imperial College London
- Electrophysiology & Devices clinical fellow: Hammersmith/ St Marys Hospitals, London.
- Dr Luther is certified by the European Heart Rhythm Association as a specialist in heart rhythm care (cardiac electrophysiology (ECES) and cardiac devices (ECDS)). He cares for patients with heart rhythm disorders, undertaking all forms of cardiac ablation procedures (atrial fibrillation, atrial flutter, supraventricular tachycardia and ventricular arrhythmia) as well as implanting complex pacemaker and defibrillators.
- Dr Luther prides himself on good patient communication and understanding. For several years, he has been faculty for both the “Arrythmia Alliance” and “Atrial Fibrillation Association” national patient education days, speaking annually to both small and large patient groups. He has created a series of patient education videos explaining common ablation procedures. www.lhch.nhs.uk/our-services/cardiology/heart-rhythm-management/catheter-ablation/. Now as one of the lead clinicians supporting digitalisation of healthcare in LHCH, he has been instrumental in bringing “ExplainMyProcedure.com” to better patient understanding.
- Dr Luther has a particular expertise in the 3D mapping and treatment of complex Atrial and Ventricular arrhythmia, with a PhD from Imperial College London, multiple international awards and publications in these advanced procedures. He has trained Electrophysiologists throughout Europe in novel 3D mapping techniques, has been an invited speaker at national specialist meetings, and is now chief investigator to a multicentre UK trial (Ripple AT+) looking to improve outcomes in curing these arrhythmias using ablation. Given his digital role, Dr Luther drove the implementation of CARTONET into LHCH, the first UK centre to facilitate a private cloud-based technology to share 3D mapping cases.
- Dr Luther is highly recognised through his online international education program www.cardiowebinar.com (@CardioWebinar) which has delivered >75 free virtual cardiology education webinars to support doctors and nurses in response to the COVID pandemic. He is an active Advanced Life Support instructor and led the production of a simulation video of cardiac arrest in Covid-19 that has received well over 100,000 views.
- In his spare time, Dr Luther is a “Liverpool County Football Association” junior football coach for his son’s football team, and coaches the Liverpool Cricket Club juniors in summer.
Why choose LHCH?
- Repeatedly recognised as “Outstanding” by the UK Care Quality Commission. Listed as one of the world’s best specialized hospitals (2021 - Newsweek). One of the highest volume heart rhythm centres in the country (NICOR), and first to obtain access to many of the latest advanced technologies. My family (wife and 2 children) moved up from London so I could have the privilege of working here.