Dr Joe Mills
About Dr Joe Mills
Area of Practice
Cardiology – general (tertiary and community based) and interventional (tertiary)
Responsibilities at LHCH
- Medical Director for Advanced Life Support
Special Clinical Interests
- Primary PCI
- Advanced life support training and education
- Transcatheter Aortic Valve Implantation (TAVI)
- Primary and Secondary prevention of CVD
- GP and Primary Care CVD education
I am national P.I for two trials at present: The SMARTVIEW trial (looking at wearable technology in hospital and home-based monitoring, in older patients after cardiac surgery); and The SURPASS study (examining real world performance/outcomes of a new TAVI valve);
I am local P.I for the VISION CARDIAC trial (recruitment ongoing)
I am local P.I for the AUGUSTUS and COMPLETE trials (both trials have finished recruitment)
Also, extensive research and publications in the field of cardiometabolic risk and premature CHD
Regional and National Responsibilities
I am the UK National CVD Prevention Co-Ordinator (affiliated role between the British Cardiovascular Society and the European Society of cardiology)
I am Cardiac Lead for the North-West Coast clinical networks
I am immediate Past-President of the British Association for Cardiovascular Prevention & Rehabilitation (BACPR)
Current Membership of Professional Regional and National Bodies
- Primary Care Cardiovascular Society
Why choose LHCH?
Dedicated to the highest standards of cardiovascular care in a professional, efficient and friendly environment.
Training and Education
- First class degree in Medical Science and Economics from Cambridge University(1989 – 1992)
- Postgraduate education at Cambridge medical school (1992-95)
- Junior doctor in Cambridge, Norwich and Leeds (1995-1999)
- Research Fellow for the British Heart Foundation, 1999-2001
- Cardiology training in Leeds, Cambridge, Norway and Manchester (2002-07)
I live in Altrincham as my wife, Michelle, is a consultant paediatrician at St Mary’s Hospital in Manchester and we have three amazing children – Ellie, Alex and Olly, who keep us extremely busy with their hectic social lives/interests/activities! We have a pony and a cat and absolutely no plans for any further additions to the household!
We love our winter holidays in “snowy” France and summer holidays in “rainy” Abersoch. Looking forward to resurrecting my golf and cricket careers when (if) I can retire.