Liverpool Centre for Cardiovascular Science
Cardiovascular disease (CVD*) is a leading cause of death and disability within our localities. Many of these deaths are preventable. CVD remains a significant source of health inequalities and contributes directly to poorer life expectancy in the most deprived areas of where we live.
Supporting the citizens of the Liverpool City Region* to live healthier lives, free of cardiovascular diseases and stroke.
By 2024, implementation of this strategy will have contributed directly to improved cardiovascular health and reduced premature death from cardiovascular diseases and stroke.
This strategy is supported by four founding members:
- Liverpool Heart & Chest Hospital NHS Foundation Trust
- Liverpool John Moores University
- The University of Liverpool
- Liverpool Health Partners
- Create an integrated academic:NHS centre for the advancement of cardiovascular and stroke research
- Build relationships with public and commercial stakeholder institutions to commit to our vision
- Develop a cadre of research leaders and teams from all relevant disciplines, willing and capable of taking forward our plans
- Collaborate across the full spectrum of cardiovascular health & disease (public health, prevention, treatment, rehabilitation) and associated disciplines with high co-dependency (e.g. renal medicine, diabetes)
- Prioritise the development of applied research and innovation, capable of rapid translation into clinical practice (bench to bedside), for the immediate benefit of patients and the public
- Ensure research and innovation programmes remain relevant through the development of strong patient & public involvement, supported by a patient centred approach
- Harness the power of digital technology to track our progress with achieving our objectives, and identifying new research opportunities for the future
*CVD includes coronary heart disease, stroke, peripheral arterial disease, vascular dementia, chronic kidney disease, cardiac arrhythmia, type 2 diabetes, sudden cardiac death and heart failure.
*The Liverpool City Region, comprises the local authority districts of Liverpool, Halton, Knowsley, Sefton, St. Helens and Wirral.
FIND OUT MORE: