Department Contact Details
- Telephone: 0151 600 1302
Head of Allied Health Professionals and Radiology Manager:
- Julie Wilkins
- Tel: 0151 600 1221 or email@example.com
Deputy Radiology Manager:
- Colin Monaghan
- Tel: 0151 600 1673
Our Department Leader:
- Dr Caroline McCann
- Tel: 0151 600 1720
The Radiology Department
- The Radiology Department opened in March 2006 and is a shared radiology service providing diagnostic imaging for Liverpool Heart and Chest Hospital and Broadgreen Hospital. It consists of six general rooms, two of which are dedicated to chest radiography, a fluoroscopy room, five ultrasound rooms and a scanner suite housing a CT and MRI scanner.
- All equipment used within the department to acquire images are digital and once acquired these are transferred via network to the PACS system. The PACS system enables Radiologists to report their findings rapidly, enabling clinicians on the wards and in clinics to access their patient’s images and expert opinions in a timely manner.
- The department also has introduced a dedicated theatre system a Philips FD 20 Allura, which is an imaging system used in the most complex of aneurysm and TAVI procedures. This technologically advanced imaging system is the very first in the UK to be sited within the theatre environment and offers totally sterile conditions.
- The department employs a range of diagnostic images using techniques such as Digital Radiography, Computed Tomography and Magnetic Resonance Imaging (MRI) and provides clinicians on the wards, clinics and operating theatres with the images they need to plan the most effective way to treat our patients.
Special Instructions for Patients
We ask patients to arrive for their appointment wearing loose-fitting clothing and to confirm their personal details with the receptionist.
Any examination that requires a special set of instructions will also need an appointment and these instructions together with appointment details, will be sent via post to the patients home address. In the near future so that we can extend choice to the patient we are planning to staff a telephone booking service.
Special Information for Families
The department aims to ensure that our services patient and family focused however there are times when the department is very busy and we need to restrict numbers of visitors in the department especially as the waiting areas are small and we need to ensure all our patients can be accommodated.
Visitors are encouraged to support their relatives whist they are in Radiology but the staff also need to ensure the radiation safety of visitors. Depending on the type of examination that the patient is undergoing, visitors may at times be asked to wait outside the X ray room whist the patient is having their examination.
Please see our Patient Information Leaflets for more information on MRI and CT Scans
For outpatients the department is open from 8:30 am – 5:00pm Monday to Friday
For GP patients the department is open from 08:30am – 4:30pm Monday to Friday there is no need to book an appointment.
The department operates a 24/7 service for inpatients, there is also a CT and Cath lab radiographer on call for out of hours emergency cases.
Our department can be found on the ground floor of the new building - Level 2 (access level).