Mr Mark Field
Mr Field started higher education at the University of Leeds in 1986 with a BSc Hon in Biochemistry and Pharmacology. He then completed a DPhil in Biochemistry at the University of Oxford in 1993.
Following this training in research methods, he moved to the University of Nottingham to complete medical training (1993-1998), being awarded a BMed Sci (First class) and BMBS.
Post graduate surgical training took place within the Trent Surgical Rotation when he completed his MRCS. Cardiac Surgery training took place in Nottingham, Sheffield and Liverpool and finished in 2009.
He was appointed a consultant at LHCH in 2009.
Responsibilities at LHCH (or other)
- Clinical Lead for Aortic Surgery
- Honorary Senior Lecturer, University of Liverpool
- Clinical Research Lead for Cardiac and Aortic Surgery
Area of Practice
- Cardiac Surgery with special interest in thoracic aortic surgery
My clinical research interests include quality outcome measures in aortic surgery and health economics. My basic sciences interest is in all aspects of aortopathy including genomics, proteomics, metabolomics and bioengineering. I have a number of collaborations with University Liverpool and Imperial College, London through the Institute of Cardiovascular Medicine and Science.
Current Membership of Professional Regional and National Bodies
- Society for Cardiothoracic Surgery
- Royal College of Surgeons Edinburgh
Aortic related peer reviewed papers
- Bashir M, Shaw M, Field M, Kuduvalli M, Harrington D, Fok M, Oo A. Repair of Type A dissection-benefits of dissection rota. Ann Cardiothorac Surg 2016; 5(3):209-215.
- Poon SS, Theologou T, Harrington D, Kuduvalli M, Oo A, Field M. Hemiarch versus total aortic arch replacement in acute type A dissection: a systematic review and meta-analysis. Ann Cardiothorac Surg 2016; (5(3): 156-173.
- Poon SS, Estrera A, Oo A, Field M. Is moderate circulatory arrest with selective anterograde cerebral perfusion superior to deep hypothermic circulatory arrest in elective aortic arch surgery. Interact Cardiovasc Thorac Surg 2016; 23(3):462-8.
- Murphy GJ, Pike K, Rogers CA, Wordsworth S, Stokes EA, Angelini GD, Reeves BC, TITRe2 Investigators. NEJM 2015; 372(11).
- Patris V, Toufektzian L, Field M, Argiriou M. Is axillary superior to femoral artery cannulation for acute type A aortic dissection surgery? Interact Cardiovasc Thorac Surgery 2015; 21(4):515-520.
- Nwaejike N, Mills K, Stable R, Field M. Balloon aortic valvuloplasty as a bridge to aortic valve surgery for severe aortic stenosis. Int Cardiov Thor Surg 2015, 20(3): 429-435.
- Fok M, Bashir M, Hammoud I, Harrington D, Kuduvalli M, Field M, Oo A. An apical left ventricular aneurysm rupture presenting as a left brest mass 11 years after surgical repair. Ann R Coll Surg Eng 2014; 96(7):e6-7.
- Bashir M, Shaw M, Fok M, Harrington D, Field M, Kuduvalli M, Oo A. Long term outcomes in thoracoabdominal aortic aneurysm repair for chronic type B dissection. Ann Cardiothorac Surg 2014; 3(4): 385-92.
- Murphy GJ, Field M, Oo A. Defining best practice for thoracic aortic disease. Heart 2014; 100(12): 897-9.
- Jafazadeh F, Field M, Bashir M, Yan T, Harrington D, Kuduvalli M, Oo A, Desmond M. Setting up a service for measuring motor evoked potential in thoracoabdominal aortic surgery. Interact Cardiovasc Thorac Surg 2014; 18(6): 748-56.
- Jafazadeh F, Field M, Harrington D, Kuduvalli M, Oo A, Kendall J, Desmond M, Mills K. Novel application of acetazolamide to reduce cerebrospinal fluid production in patients undergoing thoracoabdominal aortic surgery. Interact Cardiovasc Thorac Surg 18 (1) 21-6, 2014.
- Stanger O, Schachner T, Gahl B, Oberwalder P, Englberger L, Thalmann M, Harrington D, Wiedemann D, Südkamp M, Sheppard MN, Field M, Rylski B, Petrou M, Carrel T, Bonatti J, Pepper J. Type A aortic Dissection after nonaortic cardiac surgery. Circulation 2013 128 (15) 1602-1611.
- Yan TD, Field M, Tian DH, Bashir M, Oo A. Aortic root and total arch replacement with frozen elephant trunk procedure using a Thoraflex Hybrid Graft. Ann Cardiothorac Surg 2013 2(5): 667-668.
- Bashir M, Shaw M, Desmond M, Kuduvalli M, Field M, Oo A. Cerebral protection in hemi-aortic arch surgery. Ann Cardiothorac Surg 2013 2(2) 239-244.
- Field ML, Vallabhaneni R, Kuduvalli M, Brennan J, Torella F, McWilliams R, Oo A. Combined cardiac surgery and endovascular repair of abdominal aortic aneurysms. J Endovascu Ther 2013 20(3) 345-349.
- Bashir McWilliams R, Desmond M, Kuduvalli M, Oo A, Field M. Blunt aortic injury secondary to fragmented tenth thoracic vertebral body. Ann Thor Surg 2013 95(6) 2161-4.
- Field ML, Harrington, D, Bashir M, Kuduvalli M, Oo A. Thoracic and thoracoabdominal aortic aneuryms: Can the Uk offer a service? Journal of Royal Society of Medicine. J R Soc Med 2013 105(11) 457-63.
- Bashir M, Sastry P, Cuerden R, McNally D, Field M. Defining acute aortic syndrome following trauma: are abbreviated injury scale codes a useful surrogate descriptor? Journal of Trauma and Acute Care Surgery 2012 73(4) 977-82.
- Saleh HZ, Field M, Kuduvalli M, Oo A. Synchronised epiaortic two dimentional and color Doppler echocardiographic guidance enable routine ascending aortic cannulation intype A acute aortic dissection. J Thorac Cardiovasc Surg 2011 142 (2) 479.
- Smith R, Attaran S, Field M, Oo A. Management of a chronic Stanford type B dissection in a patient with a right sided aortic arch. Interact Cardiovasc Thorac Surg 2011, 13(5) 523.
- Attaran S, Safar M, Saleh HZ, Field M, Kuduvalli M, Oo A. Cannulating a dissecting aorta using ultrasound-epiaortic and transesophageal guidance. Heart Surgery Forum 2011 14(6) E373-5.
- Field ML, Doolan J, Safar, M, Kuduvalli M, Oo A, Mills K, Kendall J, Desmond M. The safe use of spinal drains in thoracic aortic surgery. Interactive Cardiovasuclar and Thoracic Surgery 2011 13(6) 557.
- Field ML, Kuduvalli M, Oo A. Multi-disciplinary team-led management of acute Type B aortic dissection in the United Kingdom? Journal of Royal Society of Medicine 2011 104(2) 53-8.
- Attaran S, Field M, Kuduvalli M, Oo, A. A combined procedure of thoracoabdominal aortic aneurysm repair and coronary artery bypass grafting: report of two cases. Journal of Thoracic and Cardiovascular Surgery 2011 141(4):1078-89.
- Attaran S, Field ML, Kuduvalli M, Desmond, M, Oo A, Rashid A. True aneurysm of a Dacron tube graft 19 years after repair of coarctation of the aorta. Annals of Thoracic Surgery 2010, 90(3):1000-1.
- Attaran S, Field ML, Desmond M, Priona G, Helliwell TR, Collis SA, Kuduvalli M, Oo A. Polypoid pseudomyxoma of ascending aorta after replacement with a Dacron graft. Annals of Thoracic Surgery 2011, 92(1) 338-9.
- Attaran S, Desmond M, Field M, Oo A. Successful reversal of delayed paraplegia associated with chronc type A aortic dissection using a spinal drain. Interactive Cardiovascular and Thoracic Surgery 2010 11(3):374—5.
- Attaran S, Field M, Desmond M, Oo A. Avoidiing the use of helmet continuous positive airway pressure after surgery on thoracic aorta. Interactive Cardiovascular Thoracic Surgery 2010 11(3) 378-9.
- Sastry P, Field ML, Cuerden R, Richens D. Low impact scenarios may account for two-thirds of blunt traumatic aortic rupture. Emergency Medical Journal 2010; 27(5):341-4.
- Field ML, Sastry P, Richens D. Three Strikes: Don’t die of a broken heart. Interactive Journal of Cardiothoracic and Vascular Surgery 2010; 10:1-3.
- Field ML, Sammut J, Kuduvalli, M, Oo A, Rashid A. Hybrid theatres: nicety or necessity. Journal of The Royal Society of Medicine 2009; 232:12-15.
- Zhao R, Field ML, Diggs K, Richens D. Blunt trauma and acute aortic syndrome: a three layer finite element model of the aortic wall. European Journal of Cardiothoracic Surgery 2008; 34:623-629.
- Pearson R, Philips N, R, Hancock R, Hashim S, Field ML, Richens D, McNally D. Regional wall mechanics and blunt traumatic aortic rupture at the isthmus. European Journal of Cardiothoracic Surgery 2008; 34:616-622.
- Field M, Sastry P, Zhao AR, Richens D. Small vessel avulsion and acute aortic syndrome: A putative aetiology for initiation and propagation of blunt traumatic aortic injury at the isthmus. Medical Hypotheses 2006; 68 (2): 29-34.
- M Field, D Richens. Anticipatory Valsalva-type response as a contributory factor in low impact blunt traumatic aortic rupture. Medical Hypotheses 2006; 67(1):87-92.
- M Field, B Al-Alao, N Mediratta, A Sosnowski. Open and closed chest extrathoracic cannulation for cardiopulmonary bypass and extra-corporeal support: methods, indications and outcomes. Post Graduate Medical Journal 2006; 82(967):323-331.
- D Richens, M Field, S Hashim, M Neale, C Oackley. A finite element model of blunt traumatic aortic. European Journal of Cardiothoracic Surgery 2004; 25: 1039-1047.
- D Richens, M L Field, M Neale, C Oakley. Mechanism of injury in blunt traumatic rupture of the aorta. European Journal Cardiothoracic Surgery 2002; 21: 288-293.
Other non-aortic peer reviewed papers
- Surgical septal myectomy or alcohol septal ablation: which approach offers better outcomes for patients with hypertrophic obstructive cardiomyopathy?Poon SS, Field M, Gupta D, Cameron D. Interact Cardiovasc Thorac Surg. 2017 Jun 1;24(6):951-961.
- Theologou T, Bashir, M, Rengarajan A, Khan O, Spyt T, Richens D, Field ML. Preoperative intra-aortic balloon pumps in patients undergoing coronary artery bypass grafting. Cochrane Database Syst Rev 2011 19(1): CD004472. Review
- Sastry P, Theologou T, Field ML, Pullan M, Fabri B. Predictive accuracy of EUROscore: Is end-diastolic dysfunction a missing variable? European Journal of Cardiothoracic Surgery, 2010; 37(2):261-266.
- Field M, Rengarajan A, Khan O, Spyt T, Richens D. Preoperative intra aortic balloon pumps in patients undergoing coronary artery bypass grafting.
Cochrane Database Syst Rev. 2007 Jan 24;(Issue 1): CD004472. DOI:10.1002/14651858.CD004472.
- C Alexiou, O Khan, E Black, M Field, P Onyeaka, L Beggs, Duffy, D Beggs. Survival following oesophageal resection for carcinoma: the importance of the histological cell type. Annals of Thoracic Surgery 2006; 82 (3): 1-4.
- M Field, O Khan, J Abbaraju, Clark J. Functional compartmentation of glycogen phosphorylase with creatine kinase and Ca2+ ATPase in skeletal muscle. Journal of Theoretical Biology 2006; 238(2): 257-68.
- O Khan, G Kanellopoulos, Field M, K Knowles, D Begges, W Morgan, J Duffy. Redo antireflux surgery--the importance of a tailored approach. European Journal Cardiothoracic Surgery 2004; 26(5):875-80.
- O Khan, J Fitzgerald, M Field, I Soomro, D Beggs, E Morgan, J Duffy. Histological determinants of survival in completely resected T1-2 N1 M0 non small cell carcinoma of lung. Annals of Thoracic Surgery 2004; 77:1173-1178.
- C Maxwell-Armstrong, Brooks C, Field M, Hammond J, Abercrombie J. Diagnostic peritoneal lavage analysis: should trauma guidelines be revised? Emergency Medical Journal 2002; 19(6): 524-5.
- L. Field and A. J. Coats. Grading, staging and scoring of left-ventricular hypertrophy, left ventricular dilatation, asymptomatic left ventricular dysfunction and chronic heart failure. European Heart Journal 1999; 20: 1224-1233.
- L. Field and J. F. Clark . Inappropriate ubiquitin conjugation: A Proposed Mechanism Contributing to Heart Failure. Cardiovascular Research 1997; 33: 8-12.
- L. Field, A. Azzawi, J. Unitt, C. Henderson, A-M. L. Seymour, G. K. Radda. Intracellular calcium staircase in the isovolumic pressure frequency relationship of isolated perfused rat heart. Journal of Molecular and Cellular Cardiology 1996; 28: 65-77.
- L. Field, A. Azzawi, P. Styles, C. Henderson, A-M. L. Seymoure, G. K. Radda. Intracellular calcium transients in isolated perfused rat heart: Measurement using the fluorescent indicator Fura-2AM. Cell Calcium 1994; 15: 87-100.
- L. Field, J. F. Clark, C. Henderson, A-M. L. Seymour, G. K. Radda. Alterations in the myocardial creatine kinase system during chronic anaemic hypoxia. Cardiovascular Research 1994; 21: 87-91.
1) An introduction to the cellular creatine kinase system in contractile tissue, (1996).
J. F. Clark, M. L. Field, R. Ventura-Clapier. In: Clark and Conway (eds) Creatine phosphate and Creatine: Aspects for the Clinician and Scientist, Academic Press. Chapter 4: 51-64.
2) Creatine, phosphocreatine and B-guanidinoproprionic acid: their uses in biochemical and medical research, (1997). J. F. Clark and M. L. Field. In: De Deyn, Marescau, Qureshi and Mori (eds) Guanidino Compounds, John Libbey & Company. Chapter 17: 143-155.
Letters to the Editor
1) Creatine supplementation in congestive heart failure,(1996). M. L. Field, Cardiovascular Research, 31, 174-175.
2) Synchronised epiaortic two-dimensional and colour Doppleechocardiographic guidance enable routine ascending aortic cannulation in type A acute aortic dissection 2011 Saleh H, Field M, Kuduvalli M, Oo A. Journal of Thoracic and Cardiovascular Surgery. 141 (2) 479-480.
Consensus Statement Document
Commentry on use of Cochrane IABP meta-analysis in Consensus Statement:
Field M & Theologou T 2011
Landoni et al Mortality reduction in cardiac anaesthesia and intensive care: results of the first international consensus conference. HSR Proceedings in Intensive Care and Cardiovascular Anaesthesia 2011; (3) 1-12.