What is Membership?
A Foundation Trust is an NHS organisation that gives greater opportunities for local people, patients and staff to have more of a say about the way in which services are provided.
Part of the NHS
An NHS Foundation Trust is still part of the NHS and follows all the same national guidelines, targets, standards and principles, especially the one that has underpinned Britain's National Health Service for more than 60 years - that services are free and based on need.
A Foundation Trust does however operate independently of central Government controls, giving us the ability to take our own decisions, which means we can respond directly to local needs, designing services to meet them and, if necessary, borrowing and raising money to fund them.
In other words, a Foundation Trust is accountable to patients and the community. This is achieved through making membership of the Trust available to all, so please take the opportunity to become a member of Liverpool Heart and Chest Hospital NHS Foundation Trust and have a say in it's future.
The Trust has two categories of membership - Public Members and Staff Members.
Public Members are grouped into the following areas:
- Merseyside (Districts of Knowsley, Liverpool, Sefton, St Helens and Wirral, including all electoral wards in these Districts)
- Cheshire (Districts of Chester, Congleton, Crewe and Nantwich, Ellesmere Port and Neston, Macclesfield, Vale Royal, Warrington and Halton, including all electoral wards in those Districts)
- North Wales (Districts of Conwy, Denbighshire, Flintshire, Gwynedd, Isle of Anglesey and Wrexham, including all electoral wards in those Districts)
- Rest of England and Wales
Staff members are grouped into the following categories:
- Registered and Unregistered Nurses (being health care assistants or their equivalent and student nurses)
- Non-clinical staff
- Allied healthcare professionals, technical and scientific staff
- Registered medical practitioners
To be eligible to be a member you must be over the age of 16. There is no upper age limit. Members will not receive preferential care or treatment and may continue to receive care from any NHS organisation, as they do now.
If you have any further questions, please contact our Membership Office on:
Telephone: 0151 600 1410
Write to: Membership Office
Liverpool Heart and Chest Hospital NHS Foundation Trust
To register as a member please visit the Membership Registration page.